Friday, October 3, 2008

Welcome!


Hi! I'm a mother for 4 boys, aged 1.5, 4.5, 6 and 8. Needless to say, our house is full of Duplos and Legos. We build all sorts of things with our Legos, not only according to the instructions, but many neat things.

About 2.5 years ago, I started noticing that Lego (the company) had done something really bad for consumers. They had betrayed us and started making Legos in China! China of all places!

I'm sure all of you will agree that Lego sets are not cheap. We pay for the quality. For the bricks to stay together and enable play when we build something. For safe products - no lead, no bad chemical, no hanky panky in the production.

I have brought it up with Lego (the company) about why and which products are made in China but all those who answer the phone just brushed me aside. They all tell me to 'be assured' that 'we have our special people overseeing the production'. They cannot and will not tell me if the factory in China uses all imported materials, which parts within a set is made in China, or even tell me if a particular set has components that are made in China. Yes, don't they sound like they are on top of things? Some of them tell me that 'all our bricks are made outside of China. Only the ones with electronics and fabric are made in China', 'sometimes the box is made in China, so we have to add China in our box', 'all our bricks are made outside of China, we just send them to China to be packaged'. To me, none of these are satisfactory answers.

Why am I anti-China? Well, I am not. I am for quality products. I am for protecting my boys. I am for not letting my sons get hurt just because some multinational multibillion-dollar company decides to cut cost so that it can have a bigger profit margin. Lead. Melamine. What else? The scary thing is that the production problems and 'issues' are occurring more often than ever. The devastation is here to stay.

Am I anti-Lego? I probably should, but I am not. 99.99% of toys are 'Made in China', even the Playmobil and Haba which are supposed to be made in Europe. I just can't buy Legos over the internet to get a deal because I want to inspect the box and make sure that the 'Components made in Hungary, Mexico....' does not include China.

Some of you will agree with me. And some will not. I am not going to please anyone. This is my crusade to keep one of my sons' favorite toys China-Free! I hope that I can help some parents who, like me, are paranoid about Chinese goods. I will be listing some of the sets I know are China-Free, but probably just the sets we own. It is definitely getting harder to find China-Free Legos at our local stores. And guess what, a box that was China-Free about 6 months ago had suddenly become non-China-Free. How scary is that?

Welcome to my blog!

Mom of 4 active, imaginative, fun-loving, healthy, smart, good boys.

No comments: